I don’t necessarily endorse this, but it’s interesting:
- Social networks are free, or at least bundled with things like work, family, school and housing.
- We’d never pay for technology that supports a new network.
- Facebook’s investors gave us another free network but without being able to make money on the bundle.
- It therefore takes something from us that we don’t value very much (private information) and sells it to others.
- The day may come when we regret this.
- Then again, maybe that information is actually worthless.
Inspired in part by a recent Econtalk.